17 Mar Infographic: How to Clean Your Gutters – Gutter Protection Tips
Gutters Help Keep Your Home Healthy
When was the last time you thought about your gutters? Probably not in a while! Or if you have, how often have you put off cleaning them? Gutters aren’t the most exciting feature of your house, but they are one of the most essential components of keeping your home healthy.
Degraded or broken guttering can lead to a damaged home and can cause flooding or birds making themselves at home in the gutter’s debris.
Still need some incentive to get up the ladder? Here are the benefits of protecting your gutters:
- Your gutters will have a much longer lifespan as they won’t get rusty or sag with the weight of the debris.
- There is much less chance of debris blocking the downpipes or stormwater drains.
- The opportunity for mosquitoes, cockroaches, mice, spiders, and other insects make themselves at home is eliminated.
Here’s how to clean your gutters:
- You’ll need a ladder, gloves, shovel, brush, bucket and hose.
- With a securely placed ladder, remove all the debris out of the gutter and put it into a bucket that you can hang from your ladder.
- Scrape off any debris or dirt that is stuck to the guttering.
- Blast out the gutters with a hose or water blaster, working towards the drain outlet.
- Once you’ve removed most of the mess, give the bottom of the gutter a good sweep with a brush.
Remember safety should be your number one priority. Consider having someone hold the ladder to keep it sturdy and make sure you have your bucket, gloves and tools ready to go. Also, a good way to keep your gutters front of mind to clean is to tie it in with an important date like day light savings or the beginning of each season. The regularity can be more frequent depending on your location. If you are in amongst trees for example, frequent cleaning is essential.
Or do it the simple way, call Aussie Gutter Protection
Cleaning gutters is time consuming, can be dangerous and requires specific equipment and skills. If you’re not keen to clean your gutters at least a few times a year, then take the proactive step and contact Aussie Gutter Protection to install gutter guards. Gutter guards sit over your drains, eliminating the time-consuming effort of clearing out moss, mould, nests and other debris. The barrier in place drastically reduces the cleaning frequency required.
Other than protecting your gutters, there are other lots of benefits to installing gutter guards:
- Prevent the build-up of stagnant water in your gutters, which could otherwise back up and overflow into your home or serve as a breeding ground for insects.
- Your safety – no more getting on the ladder and cleaning the gutters.
- Prevents the build-up of leaves and other debris in your gutters, reducing the risk of embers starting a fire by falling into the leaves on your roof. Ember attack is one of the main sources of house burning down in a bushfire.
To find out more, call Aussie Gutter Protection. We’ll assess your requirements and provide a no obligation quote, free of charge.