19 Jun How to Know When Your Gutters Need Replacing
Is it time to replace your gutters?
Home guttering systems are generally a lot more durable than they may appear to the naked eye. It is very important to know that your gutters are working efficiently so that you don’t have to worry about your home being exposed to flooding from water buildup or damage from fallen plants and debris.
If you don’t know how old your gutters are, it can be difficult to discern whether they actually need replacing or if it is just general wear and tear that doesn’t so much affect the functionality of the gutters. Your homes gutters should be cleaned and checked at least twice per year, ideally in autumn and in spring. However if you live in the bush or an area surrounded by trees, you should inspect your gutters every season. If you are starting to notice your gutters are deteriorating, it is important to know what signs to look out for that they may need replacing or fixing.
Here are some signs it may be time to repair or replace your gutters:
- Hanging levels: The gutters should be level; if they are turning down more towards the front or in certain areas, it is a sure sign that they need replacing.
- Leaks: Look in the corners for signs of leaking. If you see staining from water or overflow, or notice any rust in steel gutters, your gutters will need replacing soon. Ignoring the early signs of leaking can lead to vast amounts of water getting through and damaging your roof and walls.
- Sagging: If the gutters aren’t well-secured you’ll notice different sagging points.
- Joints: Look out for any joints of the guttering pulling apart.
- Water: If you notice an overflow of water when it’s raining, or extra water coming out from behind the cutters, they’ll need fixing as soon as possible to prevent damage.
- Cracking, holes or rust spots: Minor cracks, holes and spots may be able to be fixed with sealant and a bit of flashing but if you notice this in several areas you may need to consider all new gutters.
- Peeling exterior paint: Areas where the paint on your house is peeling away means that water may have been seeping down from gutters that have pulled away from your roof for quite some time. If you notice this, it is recommended you consider new gutters.
Gutter Guards – How Aussie Gutter Protection Can Help
Installing gutter guards on your home is an easy way to make your gutters last longer and protect them from all of the above signs of failing gutters. If you notice any of the above signs on your gutters, and are interested in hearing more about what gutter guards can do for your roof, get in touch with Aussie Gutter Protection today. We can conduct an evaluation and provide a personalised gutter installation plan designed especially for your home. We can also install guaranteed bird proofing solutions to keep birds and pests out of your roof.
Different Types of Gutter Guards:
There are a number of different gutter guards available on the market with their differences usually being based on the type of material used, the design of the guttering, ways of installation, durability and price.
At Aussie Gutter Protection we only use high quality Australian made Tapex Gutter Guards which are renowned for their quality, durability and effectiveness. Our gutter guards also come with a 10, 15 and 20 year warranty (depending on the particular product) and we have three main material types; plastic or polyethylene, aluminium or stainless steel.
To find out more about gutter guards or to discuss the options for your home, contact our professional gutter guard team today. We service all kinds of domestic and commercial properties in Melbourne, Victoria and major metro areas across Australia.
Contact us for a free quote today.